Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Commie Conspiracy and Precious Bodily Fluids

Well, you know, sometimes I've got nothin'...

So, I live in California.  Let me tell you, there is no shortage of craziness I can blog on from day to day.  It's not a challenge, really, so I end up not blogging at all.  I don't feel it's fair to pick on those who do not think for themselves and allow emotion and illogical reactions to guide their lives.

As I was looking through the local headlines, I noticed a city nearby that has fought the fluoridation of their water.  You heard me right...they don't want fluoride in their water.

The libertarian in me applauds their "we don't want government to tell me what's good and what's bad" attitude. But, in this case, the government is right.  Fluoridation has saved millions of teeth and prevented millions of cases of dental disease and decay.  If you don't believe me, try watching some British...or even American...movies from the 50's and 60's.  Heck, Mike Myers made a small fortune playing off the reality of bad British teeth.

So, as I read....

WATSONVILLE, Calif. -- A decade-long battle between state health officials who wanted fluoride in Watsonville's drinking water to improve oral health, and Watsonville city leaders who opposed it, ended Thursday.  The California Dental Association Foundation pushed for and introduced fluoride into several California cities' tap water. The CDAF argued that low-income families that cannot afford visits to the dentist's office greatly benefited.  Water fluoridation was cited by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as one of the top-10 greatest public health achievements of the 20th Century.  But the controversial idea of pumping fluoride into Watsonville, where many elementary school students already have decaying teeth, is dead in the water.  Resistance from city leaders and local groups, coupled with pricey contracts for the project, combined to cause the CDAF to throw its hands in the air and give up Thursday, CDAF officials said.

...I wondered, "why?".  Why would the city fight this tooth and nail?  Has fluoridation caused ill health? Have their been outbreaks of fluoride disease?  Has their been a huge conspiracy cover-up in the fluoridation of water?

No.  Not at all.  As a matter of fact, it's one thing that government got right.

Why would the city fight this?  You know, I really don't know.  I have no clue.  But what I do know is this...

...the below clip is the most perfect clip I have ever matched with a blog post.


No comments:

Post a Comment